Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Multimedia vs. Multimodal

Multimodal has to do with how something is presented. It is things like, what sounds were used, was it a picture, did it have worlds, what medium was it created in. Multimodal is different forms of expressing something. For example, "A picture is worth a thousand words." One picture can tell a story. A story of a family, during the Great Depression, waiting in line for their daily soup. You could also tell this story with a novel as well. I written story of the family, with no pictures, only words.

Multimodal combines the two, words and pictures. If I were to do multimodal piece on the Great Depress, I would do a video interview with someone who has lived through it. While the person is telling about their experience I would put picture into the movie as well as letters or postcards the person may have from that time. This would put together video, photos, and words, making it a multimodal piece. 

A multimedia piece has to do with what the medium is. For example, is it a news paper, online article, or tv show? It is the same information conveyed on different mediums to reach a broader audience. 

A multimodal piece can me multimedia and often is. I believe multimedia and multimodal are to different things but work very closely together. 

3 comments:

  1. Nice job with this. We'll talk more in class about possible distinctions between the two, but you did a good job unpacking the differences--particularly of multimodality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your distinction between multimedia and multimodal. I think the medium is the key difference. I described multimedia as the physical manifestation of ideas. Do you agree? I would also like to suggest that you proof read your responses, some of your sentences are grammatically inconsistent and difficult to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree here. Especially with the last bit: "A multimodal piece can be multimedia and often is." I think that's where the distinction comes from... One is sort of a specific description of motives or intentions while the other is a broad range of platforms that those can be expressed with.

    ReplyDelete